University Of Petroleum And Energy Studies, Dehradun is popularly known as UPES Dehradun. The university was established under the UPES Act, 2003. UPES is approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and is also a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). The university is accredited by NAAC with a Grade ‘A’. UPES has sprawling 44 acres campuses in Dehradun, namely UPES Bidholi and UPES Kandoli. As per NIRF 2022 rankings, UPES has ranked 97 for overall and 65 for the University.
UPES offers 20+ industry-aligned and specialized UG and PG programs through its seven schools: School of Engineering, School of Computer Science, School of Design, School of Law, School of Business, School of Health Sciences and School of Modern Media. UPES B.Tech is the flagship program offered in 20 specializations. Selection to the B.Tech program is based on JEE Main or UPESEAT conducted by the university. The total fee for the program is INR 15.21 lakhs. The university’s MBA course is also quite popular. Admission to the UPES MBA program is based on CAT/XAT/MAT/UPESMET. UPES MBA Course fee is INR 14.20 lakhs.
Upes Dehradun Details
|Year of establishment||2003|
|NAAC accreditation||‘A’ Grade|
|Number of courses offered||20+|
|Scholarship range||25% – 100% fee waiver|
|Highest CTC (2022)||INR 50 LPA|
|Industrial Collaborations||Oracle, IBM, Infosys, GitHub, Microsoft|
|Academic Collaborations||University of California, London School of Business, UC Riverside|
UPES Dehradun Admission 2023 – 2024
The University conducts UPESEAT for BTech and UPESMET for MBA admission. Apart from these, UPES Dehradun also accepts several nation-level entrance exams score for admission to various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes. Given below is a list of course-wise entrance exams accepted by UPES:
|Course||Accepted Entrance Exam|
|BE / BTech||UPESEAT/ JEE Main/ SAT|
|BPharma||NEET UG/ UPESPAT|
|BA LLB (Hons), BBA LLB (Hons)||ULSAT/ CLAT/ LSAT|
|BDes||UPESDAT/ JEE Main/ UCEED/ NID DAT|
|MBA||UPESMET/ CAT/ MAT/ XAT/ GMAT/ NMAT|
|PhD||UGC NET/ RET|
UPES Dehradun Infrastructure
The University campus is spread over an area of 44 acres with domain-specific labs, hostels and facilities for curricular and extra-curricular activities. Some of the highlights of the infrastructure of UPES is as follows:
Library: UPES library has a seating capacity of more than 400 students and contains over 73,327 volumes of publications including books, standards, reports, proceedings and more than 150 National and International journals. It also has a rich collection of online resources in terms of CDs, access to specialized portals on oil and gas and power-related information.
Hotels: UPES has a separate hostel for boys and girls with a capacity of more than 2000 students at the Bidholi and Kandoli campuses. All the hostels have a wi-fi facility for learning. A common room has been provided in each hostel for relaxation and a 24*7 power backup and solar power water heaters facility is available.
Cafeteria: The university has a multi-storied food court within the campus, it has a number of food courts and cafeterias with a modern ambience to provide nutritious and balanced meals, snacks and beverages to students of both campuses.
Sports Complex: UPES has a multipurpose playground for playing hockey, cricket, football and other sports with world-class sports facilities and equipment.
UPES Dehradun Rankings 2023 – 2024
The University has been ranked under several streams, such as Management, Law and Engineering. A few of the important UPES Dehradun rankings are mentioned below:
|Category – Ranking Body||Rank|
|Overall category – NIRF 2022||65|
|Law – NIRF 2022||21|
|Engineering – NIRF 2022||61|
|Management – NIRF 2022||41|
UPES Dehradun Placements 2022 – 2023 : Highlights
In UPES placement 2022, more than 2,480 students received unique job offers. Other major highlights related to UPES Dehradun placements 2022 are as follows:
|Particulars||UPES Placement Statistics (2022)|
|Highest package||INR 50.09 LPA (BTech CSE)|
|Average package||INR 8.37 LPA (BTech CSE)|
|Total no. of placements||3,800+|
|No. of unique offers||2,480+|
|Highest stipend offered||INR 1.5 lakh per month|
|Top recruiters||Boeing, Deloitte USI, Ernst & Young, KPMG and PwC, among various others|
UPES Dehradun Average Package 2022 – 2023
The average packages for courses offered at UPES Dehradun are as follows:
|UPES Dehradun Placements 2022 – 2023|
|School of Computer Science||INR 8.37 LPA|
|School of Business||INR 6.48 LPA|
|School of Engineering||INR 5.4 LPA|
|School of Design||INR 6.53 LPA|
|School of Law||INR 4.18 LPA|
|School of Health Sciences & Technology||INR 3.25 LPA|
A comparative analysis of three years’ placements statistics is tabulated below for reference:
|Particulars||Statistics (2020)||Statistics (2021)||Statistics (2022)|
|Highest Salary||INR 45 LPA||INR 40 LPA||INR 50.09 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 6.30 LPA||INR 5.35 LPA||INR 8.37 LPA|
|Total no. of placements||2,318||3,000+||3,800+|
|No. of recruiters||560+||800+||NA|
|No. of offers||2,844||3,000+||3,800+|
UPES Dehradun Courses & Fees ( Approx )
Upes Dehradun Fee Structure
UPES Dehradun offers 20+ UG, PG and Diploma Courses across both campuses. These courses are offered in the field of Engineering, Management, Computer Science, Law, Business and Media. The university conducts UPESMET, UPESEAT, UPESDAT, and ULSAT for admission to its courses. Further, UPES also considers national-level entrance tests such as JEE Main, CAT, MAT, XAT, CLAT, and GATE to name a few. Tabulated below are some of the popular courses offered at UPES Dehradun:
|Courses||Details||Total Fees||Average Package|
|B.Tech||Eligibility: 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: JEE Main, SAT, UPESEAT
|INR 3.3 lakhs – 26.14 lakhs||INR 5.40 LPA|
|BBA||Eligibility: 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: UGAT, UPESMET-UG
|INR 5.41 lakhs – 18.9 lakhs||–|
|MBA||Eligibility: 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: CAT. MAT, XAT, CMAT, NMAT, GMAT, UPESMAT
|INR 8.58 lakhs – 28.86 lakhs||INR 6.48 LPA|
|M.Tech||Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: GATE, UPESMET
|INR 3.32 lakhs – 6.88 lakhs||–|
|BCA||Eligibility: 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: Merit based
|INR 4.82 lakhs||INR 8.37 LPA|
|MCA||Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: Personal Interview
|INR 8.4 lakhs – 27.42 lakhs||–|
|LLM||Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: CLAT, ULSAT
|INR 2.66 lakhs||INR 4.18 LPA|
|B.Des||Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum of 50%-60% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: UPESDAT, UCEED, NID DAT
|INR 19.4 lakhs – 27.42 lakhs||INR 6.53 LPA|
|M.Des||Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: UPESDAT
|INR 8.4 lakhs – 27.42 lakhs||–|
|B.Sc||Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: Personal Interview
|INR 3.3 lakhs – 16.67 lakhs||–|
|M.Sc||Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: UPESPAT
|INR 2.06 lakhs – 7.04 lakhs||–|
|PhD||Eligibility: Postgraduation with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks|
Selection Criteria: RET, NET, GATE
|INR 1.50 lakhs||–|
UPES Dehradun Scholarships
B.Tech Scholarships: The UPES B.Tech scholarships are offered on the basis of merit and the Uttarakhand state board. The university also considers JEE Main scores. Listed below are the details for the same:
- Merit-Based Scholarship: The scholarship is offered to students securing an aggregate of 80% marks in classes X and XII and 80% marks in PCM for B.Tech. The scholarships will be limited to 10% of seats in each B.Tech Program. Scholarships will be allotted for the first Semester in Merit order to eligible candidates. Further, the scholarships will be awarded based on Merit only and the continuation of scholarships in the subsequent years will be as per the University policy. The Scholarship amount is 50% of the Tuition fee for the first semester.
- Scholarship for Uttarakhand State Board Toppers: The merit order allotment of the Uttarakhand State Board is 1 seat per program. The seats reserved under this category will be within the 15% reservation for Uttarakhand resident students. The candidates must have “Sthai Niwas Praman Patra” (Permanent Residence Certificate). The students will be entitled only for 1 scholarship at a time (either through Uttarakhand Board Toppers or through the Uttarakhand Resident category). The scholarship will be as per the merit scholarship policy of the University in subsequent years. The amount of scholarship is 25% of the tuition fee waiver for Boys and 35% for Girls students in their first year.
Special Scholarship on the basis of Board Merit and JEE Toppers
|Percentile||JEE Toppers Scholarship||Board Merit Scholarship|
|95.01% or more||100%||100%|
|90.01% to 95%||85%||85%|
|85% to 90%||75%||75%|
MBA Scholarship: UPES MBA Scholarships are given based on marks obtained in CAT. The students who have secured 85% of marks are eligible for the below-mentioned scholarships:
|CAT Percentile||Tuition Fee Waiver (%)|
Academic Scholarship: UPES offers up to 100% merit scholarship, 50% scholarship is reserved for girls students. The scholarship will be offered to students who have applied for admission to UPES Courses and have taken UPES entrance tests. However, the scholarship shall be awarded to only those students who have completed the below mentioned scholarship criteria for the first semester and subsequent renewal, if applicable. The criteria for the same is as follows:
- Scholarship Criteria: Academic Scholarship will be awarded to upto 10% of Top performers of the UPES Entrance Exam. UPES reserves the right to conduct multiple rounds of entrance examination and the merit list of each round will be prepared separately. However, it is UPES’s sole discretion, to decide to consider next in line of the top 10 for said Scholarship, in case the top performer does not accept the scholarship for any reason. The total number of scholarships available is up to 1900 out of this 50% will be reserved for girls i.e., 950 scholarships and the balance is for the general category including boys and girls both.
- Scholarship Benefit: Scholarships will be awarded in the range of 20% to 100% on tuition fees for 1st semester only. The renewal of scholarships for the rest of the semesters is at the sole discretion of UPES Dehradun.
Concession for Bonafide Uttarakhand Students: If the students are Uttarakhand Bonafide residents, they are eligible for 33% concession on tuition fee subject to fulfilment of the following conditions and submission of supporting documents:
- ‘Sthai Niwas Praman Patra’ Certificate, along with the admission form
- Income Certificate (proving that your gross family income is not more than INR 12 lakh per annum, along with a copy of the last income tax return filed).
Freeships: The main objective of freeships is to access quality education to all. UPES is providing scholarships to students who come from the economically weaker section but with high aspiration, commitment and caliber. The eligibility criteria for the same is:
- Total number of 50 seats only for the regular program be on the merit basis.
- Upper age limit for UG and PG programs: 20 and 25 years respectively (on the date of registration).
- The minimum academic eligibility for the respective program at the time of admission should be met, as mentioned in the admission prospectus.
- EWS certificate to be submitted which is issued by District Magistrate (DM) /Additional District Magistrate (ADM) / Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/ Additional Deputy Commissioner/ First Class Stipendiary/ Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate / Executive Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner.
- As per JEE notification EWS category income is to be upto INR 8 LPA.
- Renewal of free ships will be based on 6.0 SGPA / CGPA in the last exam passed
Sports Scholarships: UPES has introduced a new scheme of providing scholarships for talented sports person. This scholarship started with the aim to develop a sports culture in the university. The criteria for new and existing students is tabulated below:
|Scholarship/ Free ships||Level of Representation||Achievements||Organizing Body||Remarks|
|100%||International||Medal holders (Gold/Silver/Bronze) at the International Level (Representing the country)||International Olympic Committee / Commonwealth||100% free ship on complete tuition fees and hostel|
|75%||International||Participating at the International Level||International Olympic Committee / Commonwealth||75% on Tuition fees|
|50%||National||Medal holders (Gold/Silver/Bronze in team game and fourth place in individual sport||National association / Federations / AIU / IOA / School Games federation of India||50% on Tuition fees|
|35%||National||Participation at the National Level||National association / Federations / AIU / IOA / School Games federation of India||35% on Tuition fees|
No. of Seats under the Scholarship Scheme
|Sports/Game||No. of Seats|
Scholarships Based On Academic Performance – For Second Year Onwards: The academic scholarship policy is applicable for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The scholarship will be awarded to 10% of the total students enrolled in each of the programs or 1 student whichever is higher. The 10% will be rounded off to the nearest next number. The scholarship policy for the year 2022 is based on the meritorious performance of the students in the academic year 2022-23 as under:
|Merit||Extent of Scholarship|
|1st||20% of the fees|
|2nd||15% of the fees|
|Rest of the eligible students||10% of the fees|
Alumni Scholarship: The scholarship is applicable on only 35% tuition fee waiver for the full duration of the program. Under this scheme, no other scholarship will be offered or clubbed with this scholarship. No alumni fee will be charged and the renewal of the scholarship for the subsequent year will be only based on attaining a minimum of 8 SGPA /CGPA with no backlog and no disciplinary cases registered or reported against the student. The eligibility for this scholarship is:
- Applicable to all Alumni who graduated from 2017 onwards. For any Alumni who graduated before 2017, the department of alumni relations will present the case to the scholarship committee for special approval.
- Alumni have to meet the notified eligibility criteria for AY 2022-23 for the respective programs.
Digital Innovation Scholarships (Sponsored by Meta) – School of Modern Media (SOMM): The students who have applied for admission for UPES SOMM undergraduate courses whose family income meets the eligibility criteria and have qualified through the selection process are eligible for this scholarship. The criteria for the same is tabulated below:
|Scholarship Name||Scholarship detail||Type||Total Number|
|Digital Innovation scholarships||100 % Merit scholarship (for underprivileged students)||External||6|