Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), this year made some important changes in the examination pattern of class 12. Class 12 Biology Important Question with Answer 2023-2024 .From introducing internal assessment in all subjects to changing the format of question paper for board exams, students must be aware of every minute detail of the changed examination pattern. As per the new exam pattern, CBSE has given more weight to the school-based/internal assessment. Major change will be observed in the questions paper format in the board exam 2023-2024. Question papers will have more number of objective type questions.
CBSE changed the examination pattern with an aim to
- discourage students from rote learning
- develop analytical skills and reasoning abilities among students
- produce better results and improve the academic quality of institutions
Important Changes in CBSE Class 12 Exam Pattern 2023
As per the new circular, CBSE class 12 syllabus will not be reduced this year. In AY 2022-23, there will be around 25-27 questions in Science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. The detailed changes are as follows:
- Multiple Choice Questions in English Language and Literature: In English Language & Literature, there will be multiple choice questions, fill in the blanks and synonym/antonym from unseen passages.
- Assertion and Reason Based Questions in Biology: The board has eliminated the multiple-choice questions from Biology and has framed assertion and reason-based questions. There will be around 5 one-mark questions but it will be more of descriptive nature. Candidates are suggested not to write answers of one word form in Biology.
Marking Scheme for Class 12 CBSE 2023
The exam pattern and marking scheme of CBSE 12th of some of the subjects is given in the following tables:
|Subjects||Theory Exam||Practical Exam|
The pattern of board exams has changed from this year onwards, so I have mentioned here most important questions for class 12 biology , which I guess is more than sufficient to score 80%+ by just doing these questions.
1. There are a total of 27 questions and five sections in the question paper. All questions are compulsory.
2. Section A contains question numbers 1 to 5, multiple choice questions of one mark each.
3. Section B contains question numbers 6 to 12, short answer type I questions of two marks each.
4. Section C contains question numbers 13 to 21, short answer type II questions of three marks each.
5. Section D contains question number 22 to 24, case-based short answer type questions of three marks each.
6. Section E contains question numbers 25 to 27, long answer type questions of five marks each.
7. There is no overall choice in the question paper. However, internal choices are provided in two questions of one mark, one question of two marks, two questions of three marks and all three questions of five marks. An examinee is to attempt any one of the questions out of the two given in the question paper with the same question number.
Marking scheme for CBSE Class 12th Biology
|2||Genetics and Evolution||18|
|3||Biology and Human Welfare||14|
|4||Biotechnology and Its Applications||10|
|5||Ecology and Environment||14|
CBSE Class 12 Biology Question Paper Pattern 2023
The Biology paper will be of 70 Marks and 3 hours of time duration. Students can have a look at the paper pattern below.
|Section||No. of Questions||Marks per Question|
|A||14||1 Mark Each|
|2||Case Based Questions|
|B||9||2 Marks Each|
|C||5||3 Marks Each|
|D||3||5 Marks Each|
CBSE Class 12 Biology Assessment Areas (Theory Paper)
The type of questions based on which the assessment will be done are mentioned below. Also, an internal choice of approximately 33% would be provided to the students in the exam.
- Very Small Answer Question including MCQs
- Assertion – Reasoning type questions
- Small Answer Question
- Large Answer Question-I
- Large Answer Question-II
- Source-based/ Case-based/ Passage-based/ Integrated assessment questions
|Demonstrate Knowledge and Understanding||50%|
|Application of Knowledge / Concepts||30%|
|Analyse, Evaluate and Create||20%|
CBSE Class 12 Biology Practical Evaluation Scheme
|One Major Experiment||5|
|One Minor Experiment||4|
|Practical Record + Viva Voce||4|
|Investigatory Project and its|
Project Record + Viva Voce
|S.No.||Typology of Questions||Very Short|
|1.||Remembering- (Knowledge based Simple recall questions, to know specific facts, terms, concepts, principles, or theories, Identify, define, or recite, information)||2||1||1||–||7||10%|
|2.||Understanding- (Comprehension – To be familiar with meaning and to understand conceptually, interpret, compare, contrast, explain, paraphrase information)||–||2||4||1||21||30%|
|3.||Application (Use abstract information in concrete situation, to apply knowledge to new situations,Use given content to interpret a situation, provide an example, or solve a problem)||–||2||4||1||21||30%|
|4.||Evaluating & Analysis – Classify, Compare, Contrast, or differentiate between different|
pieces of information,
Organize and/or integrate unique pieces of
information from a variety of sources)
|5.||Creating – (Appraise, judge, and/or justify the value or worth of a decision or outcome, or to predict outcomes based on values)||1||1||2||–||9||13%|
Even if you are studying for the board exam in one day, you can surely get good marks in Biology provided you don’t panic and study earnestly.
Do not use any other reference books except for NCERT and maybe, Arihant Chapterwise if you have time.
Firstly, know the breakdown of the chapters/units
- Do Genetics. That includes Principle of Inheritance, Molecular Basis of Inheritance, Evolution. These 3 chapters can easily fetch you 18 marks. This should take you about 3 hours or so.
- Since covering an entire unit of Genetics can be tiresome, do the last unit which talks all about the environment after that. I think reading each chapter twice should do it. It talks about advantages of CNG, disadvantages of Petrol, Global warming, sewage treatment. These 4 chapters can fetch you 14 marks.
- Biotechnology- Principles and Application. Again, if you read the chapter line by line, underline the definitions, make possible questions, you can do these two chapters in about 3 hours or so. These 2 chapters are of 10 marks.
- Reproduction in Flowering Plants. Read the chapter along with diagrams.
Before sleeping, just go through the scientific names of microbes and their uses in the chapter related to Microbes and read Human Health once.
Next morning, you can easily do Human reproduction, Human health, Strategies of Food production and Microbes.
It shouldn’t take you more than 3 hours.
Understand CBSE Class 12th Board Pattern
You have allocated total 3 hour to solve the entire paper of class 12 biology and having full marks 70 and rest 30 marks will be allocated for practice exam conducted by your school and fixed syllabus of practice will be followed for this. It is important to have good understand about the new pattern of CBSE class 12 biology there is major change for class 12th board exam of CBSE biology from 2020.In 3 hours of time you will get different biology paper as compared to 2019.
What is the difference? To answering this questions CBSE board applied lot of new thinks in class 12 Biology papers such as now the class 12 Biology paper consist of different types of questions having marks range 1 to 5.40% weightage is given to objective type questions and these are not only MCQ based but also consist of fill in the blanks.True and false, single sentence answers or short one liner answer type.Start your preparation accordingly. Students can also access the class 12 notes from here.
CBSE Class 12 Exam Pattern Highlights
Check the key highlights about the CBSE class 12 exam pattern from the below table:
|Name of the Exam||CBSE Senior Secondary Examinations 2023|
|Conducted By||Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE)|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Frequency||Once in a year|
|Type of Question||MCQs and Application Based Questions|
|Total Number of Subject||5 or 6 (As elected)|
|Maximum Marks||100 (80 marks in written exam and 20 marks for internal assessments and projects)|
|Total Time||3 hours|
|Passing Marks||33% (each subject) and 33% (aggregate)|
|Medium of Exam||English/Hindi|
CBSE Class 12 Marking Scheme 2023
The division of marks weightage for board exams 2023 is given below:
|Type of Questions||Weightage|
|Competency Based Questions would be minimum 30% (Multiple Choice Questions, Case Studies, Source based Integrated Questions etc.)||30% (Minimum)|
|Objective Type Questions||20%|
|Short Answer/Long Answer Questions||50% (as per existing pattern)|
CBSE Class 12 Assessment Scheme 2022-23
In the academic year 2022-23, CBSE will be implementing the old exam pattern which was followed up to 2020. As per the revised CBSE 12th exam pattern, there will be one exam in the year. The full marks for every subject will be 100 marks (80 for written exam and 20 for internals and viva). Along with class 12 exam pattern the syllabus has also been revised for the session 2022-23.
CBSE Assessment Scheme Details
- Only one exam will be conducted at the end of the academic session by CBSE Board.
- Syllabus for some of the subjects will be reduced by 30%, similarly as the previous two sessions.
- Efforts will be made to make Internal Assessment/ Practical Project work more credible and valid as per the guidelines and Moderation Policy to be announced by the Board to ensure fair distribution of marks.
CBSE Class 12 Examination Details
- For AY 2022-23, CBSE 12th exams will be conducted tentatively in the month of February-March 2023.
- The question paper will contain Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs), short and long answer type questions.
- The total duration of the exam will be 3 hours.
- CBSE 12th practice papers are also released as per the new exam pattern.