- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test) 2020 is a computer-based online test for providing admission to Integrated First Degree programs offered at BITS Pilani campuses in Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad
- Candidates who have passed their class 12th examination with aggregate 75% marks in PCB/PCM are eligible to apply.
- BITSAT exam will be conducted in two slots each day. The first session will be from 9 am – 12 noon, while the second slot will be from 2 pm- 5 pm. You can choose either of these, based on the availability.
- There is no change in BITSAT Syllabus. Candidates must carefully go through their class 11 and 12 syllabi of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. 40 questions are asked from Physics and Chemistry combined while 45 questions will be put up from Mathematics/Biology.
- Mode of exam– BISAT is conducted in online mode.
- Duration– The time duration of the examination is 3 hours.
- Sectional Time Limit– There is no time limit for individual parts of the test.
- Total Questions– A candidate has to solve 150 questions.
- Nature of Questions– All questions are of objective type.
- Marking Scheme– Each correct answer is credited with 3 marks.
- Negative Marking– There is a penalty of 1 mark which will be levied on answering the question wrongly.
- Sections– A candidate has to answer questions from Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/Biology, English Proficiency and Logical Reasoning.
|Part||Subjects||Number of questions|
|Part 3|| English proficiency|
|Part 4||Mathematics/Biology (For B.Pharm)||45|
The candidates applying for the BITSAT exam must fulfill the required eligibility. The BITSAT 2020 Eligibility is as follows:
- Integrated First degree programmes except B Pharma- Candidates must have passed the 12th examination of 10+2 system from a recognized Central or State board or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and adequate proficiency in English.
- B. Pharm.: Candidate must have completed 10+2 from any recognized Central or State board or equivalent thereto with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and adequate proficiency in English.
Minimum Mark Criteria
- Candidates who will take Mathematics in BITSAT, must have minimum of aggregate 75% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects
- Candidates who will take Biology in BITSAT, must have minimum of aggregate 75% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects
- The candidate should have obtained at least 60% marks in each of the Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics / Biology subjects in 10+2 examination
The BITSAT-2020 test will be conducted on the basis of NCERT syllabus for 11th and 12th class. The detailed syllabus is given in the Annexure. Candidates may refer to the NCERT textbooks for the contents. A sample test demonstrating the features of BITSAT-2020 will be made available to the registered candidates at the BITS admission website on which he/she can practice as many times as desired.
BITSAT 2020 MOST IMPORTANT TOPICS / Chapters
Some of the topics are extremely important and one cannot imagine missing out any of them. The most vital areas which generally fetch good amount of questions include chemical bonding, atomic structure, p-block elements, carboxylic acid & its derivatives, mole concepts etc. Some other topics which are equally important include s-block elements, solid state, general organic chemistry, chemical kinetics, environmental chemistry. Domains like gaseous state, redox reactions, surface chemistry, solutions and polymers should be practices only once you are done with the rest of the syllabus.
The important chapters with their weightage in the exam are tabulated below:
|4.||Carboxylic Acid & its Derivatives||6%|
|9.||Alkanes, Alkenes & Alkynes||5%|
|13.||General Organic Chemistry||4%|
The table given below illustrates some of the vital areas which must be practiced thoroughly. Focus on topics like heat and thermodynamics and wave motion. Refer the chapters on vectors, physics of nucleus etc. only if you have extra time with you else you may even skip these chapters.
|1.||Heat & thermodynamics||10%|
|2.||Magnetic effect of current & Magnetism||9%|
|5.||Simple Harmonic Motion||5%|
|9.||Work Energy Power||4%|
|13.||Units, Dimensions Errors||3%|
Chapters like ellipse, area, mathematical induction, statistics and inverse trigonometry should be studied only once you are done with all the remaining topics. These areas either don’t fetch any question or fetch nominal number of questions. So, even if you are not able to prepare them, you won’t be at risk. Various important topics have been tabulated in order of their weightage in the exam:
|3.||Pair of Straight Lines||6%|
|5.||Continuity & Differentiability||6%|
|6.||Theory of Equation||4%|
|10.||Sets, Relations & Functions||4%|
|11.||Properties of Triangles||3%|
|15.||Application of Derivatives||3%|
English Proficiency test is designed to test the knowledge of basic grammar and vocabulary of the candidates as well as their ability to express themselves in real-life situations. They should also be able to read English fast, comprehend it and write effectively. Some of the vital areas are tabulated below:
|1.||Synonyms & Antonyms||30%|
|3.||One Word Substitution||15%|
|4.||Rearrangement of Jumbled Words||15%|
|6.||Rules of Conjunctions||3%|
Logical Reasoning test is designed to evaluate the ability of the candidates to use reasoning to solve verbal and non-verbal problems. Candidates should be able to think logically, interpret data correctly, understand relationships, find out missing numbers or words, and apply rules to new and different contexts. Candidates should be able to complete analogies and missing links, follow directions, classify words, and establish sequences. The important topics are:
|1.||Figure Formation & Analysis||40%|
|4.||Numbers & Alphabetical Series Test||10%|
|6.||Completion figure Test||7%|
|7.||Paper folding and Cutting Related test||7%|
This list of topics is highly significant in the sense that it reveals the chief areas which you cannot dare to ignore. But, that does not mean that you can completely rely on these topics. Suppose, if a single questions was asked form a particular section in 2013, it is quite possible that it may fetch around 3-4 questions this year. This list is only to give lead your preparation in the right direction.
BEST BOOKS FOR BITSAT