IIT Delhi is India’s top autonomous public research university in the Hauz Khas region of New Delhi. Established in 1961, IIT Delhi is located on a sprawling green campus of 320 acres. IIT Delhi is currently ranked 2nd in the NIRF 2022 top engineering college list. IIT Delhi’s most popular program is the BTech program, where candidates can get admission via a valid score in JEE Advanced + JoSAA counselling. The total fee for IIT Delhi BTech program is approximately INR 9.8 Lakhs. The cutoff rank required for admission to the IIT Delhi BTech program is around 100. Other popular courses offered in IIT Delhi are MTech, MBA and PhD.
IIT Delhi is one of the top colleges in terms of Return on Investment. The average salary at IIT Delhi is INR 2.5 Crores Per Annum against total fees of approximately 10 lakhs. IIT Delhi conducted its Phase 1 placements for batch 2023 on December 15, 2022. In these placements, Jane Street offered the Highest Package of INR 4 CPA. IIT Delhi recorded a total of 1300 placement offers, the highest ever in history.
All Engineering Exams / College – Form Apply
IIT Delhi Location
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi is situated in Hauz Khas which is approximately 12.4kms away from the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station, New Delhi. It is the IIT Delhi nearest railway station. Students travelling by train can take a metro to Hauz Khas metro station which is 3.6km away. The nearest airport to IIT Delhi is Indira Gandhi International Airport which is located at a distance of 10 km. IIT Delhi nearest bus stop is the Vasant Vihar Bus Depot which is 4 km away from the campus. Students can even choose to take a cab or an auto to IIT Delhi location once they reach New Delhi.
IIT Delhi Highlights 2023
Established in 1961 as the College of Engineering in Delhi, IIT Delhi was declared ‘Institution of National Importance’ and was renamed ‘Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)’. It was then granted the status of a Deemed University. IIT Delhi has been ranked 2 and 4 in the ‘Engineering‘ and ‘Overall‘ categories, respectively, by the NIRF Rankings 2022. Other than these, the institute was also ranked 4 under the ‘Management‘ category by the NIRF 2022.
IITD consists of 19 Centres of Excellence, out of which, four are set up by IIT Delhi, eight are industry-sponsored and seven are funded by sponsored projects. At present, the institute offers more than 85 courses at UG, PG, and PhD levels. These courses are imparted through 16 departments and six distinct schools of IITD. IIT Delhi is extending its boundaries with one extension campus being set up at Sonepat and another one soon coming up in Jhajjar, Haryana. A few other interesting highlights regarding IIT Delhi are enlisted below:
|Establishment year | Ownership type||1961 | Public|
|Also known as||IIT Delhi|
|Campus size||325 acre|
|Number of extended campuses||2 (Sonepat and Jhajjar)|
|NIRF Rankings 2022||– 2 under ‘Engineering’ – 4 under ‘Overall’ – 4 under ‘Management’|
|Number of courses||85 courses under 16 departments|
|Total collaborations||-National: 30 |
IIT Delhi Notable Alumni
The college has started two awards, DASA (Distinguished Alumni Service Awards) and DAA (Distinguished Alumni Awards) which is awarded to 3-4 Alumni for their notable contribution to the field of Technology, Science, Public and Social Service, and Corporate Governance.
|Mr. Pankaj Chaddah||Co-founder, Zomato|
|Prof. Sanjam Garg||Assistant Professor, University of California, Berkeley|
|Mr. Vikram Gupta||Founder and Managing Partner of IvyCap Ventures|
|Prof. Nemkumar Banthia||Senior Canada Research Chair and Distinguished Professor at the University of British Columbia|
|Mr. Deepinder Goyal||Founder, Zomato|
|Mr. Chetan Bhagat||Author, Screenwriter, Columnist & Motivational Speaker|
IIT Delhi Clubs, Committees and Societies
There are a number of student clubs that help the students to excel in extracurricular activities and showcase their talent. IIT Delhi students’ club has been broadly classified into three categories. They are listed below:
IIT Delhi Cultural Clubs
- Literacy Club: This is the literature and language club of IIT Delhi. The students take part in discussions related to poetry. Literature and language.
- Fine Arts and Crafts Club (FACC): The students are provided with a platform to showcase their artistic talent and also learn new forms of art. They organise events and workshops like Charcoal painting, Mask painting and artistic activities.
- Quizzing Club: This club at IIT Delhi is for students interested in quiz competitions. The club organises quizzing competitions related to various topics.
- Photography and Films Club: This is one of the most popular clubs of IIT Delhi. They are involved in hosting events related to movie making, trailer making, and ad-making. They organise workshops and sessions related to topics of photography and films like image editing, graphic designing, etc.
- Dance Club: This club is for Dance enthusiasts. The club organises the Duo Dance and Group Dance events which is one of the popular events of IIT Delhi.
- Debating Club: They organise events like Extempore, Parliamentary Debates and MUNs.
- Dramatics Club: The club organises events like street performances, mimes and comedy acts. The students are given complete freedom to be what they want to be.
- Spic Macay: The motive of this club is to enhance the awareness of Indian Heritage. They organise programs like Indian classical music and dance, folk, poetry, theatre, traditional paintings, yoga and crafts.
- Music Club: The club provides a platform for students interested in music to enhance their skills. They are involved in organising an event ‘Mehfil’ which includes ghazals, qawwalis and Indian folk performances.
- Hindi Samiti: They encourage the use of the local language which is Hindi and celebrate everything related to Indian things.
IIT Delhi Technical Clubs
- Devclub: This club is everything related to the topic of applied computer science. They work on projects related to web development, coding, and android app development.
- Robotics Club: The purpose of this club is to build robots and participate in ROBOCON INDIA competition. They have been successful in the past to build automatic and manual robots.
- Axlr8r: The team of 25 undergraduate students builds an open-wheel formula race car.
- Aeromodelling Club: This club is for students interested in Aeromodelling and Aviation. The members at this club design and create flying systems
- Physics and Astronomy Club: The club organises lecture sessions, observation sessions and competitions related to topics like quantum physics and astronomy.
- Economics Club: The club acknowledges the topics related to economics and finance. They organise the Tuesday Night Sessions and Faculty sessions on topics related to finance and economics.
- IGEM: iGEM stands for International Genetically Engineered Machine. In order to advance the research in the field of synthetic biology, the students develop a genetically engineered biological system.
- ACES-ACM: This is the Association of Computer Engineers and Scientists and the official ACM student club. They organise events like a hackathon, talks by renowned scientists, the Asian Programming Contest and Microsoft Code.
- Mathematics Society: This is a non-profit organisation handled by the Department of Mathematics. They organise events related to mathematics.
- Electrical Engineering Society: The club is for students who have an interest in electronics and innovation. The aim of this club is to encourage the students towards building a society with the help of the technology they have learned.
- Physics Society
- Mechanical Engineering Society: The Society is involved in upgrading and promoting mechanical engineering knowledge amongst the IIT Delhi students. They connect the alumni with the institution.
- Chemical Engineering Society: They organise intra-departmental events like professor-student talk sessions, farewells, CHES awards and interactive sessions.
- Civil Engineering Forum: This is a non-profit student organisation that organises events and activities which help the students to showcase and enhance their talent.
- Textile Engineering Society: The society includes scholars of B.Tech, M.Tech, Ph.D., professors and alumni. They organise events that give the members an opportunity to showcase their creative side.
- The Entrepreneurship Development Cell: Their vision is to promote Entrepreneurship amongst the IIT Delhi students and provide them with the necessary guidance and assistance.
- Alumni Affairs and International Programmes: This is the student body that is involved in maintaining the alumni relationship of the institute and organising the industrial tours and Alumni Reunions.
IIT Delhi Ranking
IIT Delhi ranks among the top engineering institutes of India. It has been ranked by various ranking agencies from nation and around the world. The institute has also secured 174th rank in the QS World University ranking 2023. As per NIRF Ranking, IIT Delhi is ranked has been consistent on its 2nd position in the Engineering category for the past 4 years. Check the IIT Delhi NIRF trends below:
|Year||IIT Delhi NIRF Ranking (Engineering Category)|
IIT Delhi Courses , Fees & Eligibility
|B.Tech||₹2.36 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)||10+2 with 75% + JEE Advanced|
|M.Tech||₹1.78 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)||Graduation with 60% + GATE|
|Ph.D||₹43,150 (1st Year Fees)||Post Graduation with 60%|
|B.Tech + M.Tech||₹2.36 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)||10+2 with 75% + JEE Advanced|
|MBA||₹10.4 Lakhs (Total Fees)||Graduation with 60% + CAT|
|M.S||₹1.78 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)||Graduation with 60% + GATE|
|M.Des||₹1.78 Lakhs (1st Year Fees)||Graduation with 60% + CEED|
B.E./B.Tech. – 4 Years Course – IIT Delhi
- Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Power and Automation)
- Energy Engineering
- Engineering and Computational Mechanics
- Engineering Physics
- Materials Engineering
- Mathematics and Computing
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production and Industrial Engineering
- Textile Technology
B.Tech + M.Tech. (Dual Degree) – 5 Years Course – IIT Delhi
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Mathematics and Computing
IIT Delhi Institute Fee – Btech
|Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹10,000|
|One Time Fees||₹10,500|
|Tuition Fee (per Semester)||₹1,00,000|
|Other fees (per Semester)||₹7,100|
Hostel Fees – IIT Delhi
|Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹15,000|
|One Time Fees||₹7,000|
|Hostel Seat Rent (per Semester)||₹13,250|
|Mess Charges (per Semester)||₹38,580|
Fee Waivers , Scholarship
- 100% Tuition Fee waiver for SC/ST/PH students.
- Full remission of the Tuition Fee for General and OBC students whose family income is less than Rs.1 lakh per annum.
- Remission of 2/3rd of the Tuition Fee for General and OBC students whose family income is between Rs.1 lakh to Rs.5 lakh per annum.
- Research Assistance is provided to the students who are enrolled in the Ph.D. or research programs at IIT Delhi and are willing to work for the department.
- Any student enrolled in the research-based programs on a full-time basis at IIT Delhi.
- A minimum of INR 15,000 is awarded per month to students who can work about 20 hours a week.
- For the students enrolled in MS Research Programme, a sum of INR 24,000 is awarded per month to work 8 hours a week.
Scholarships Offered by Alumni at IIT Delhi
Apart from the scholarships offered by the institute, many reputed alumni have instituted scholarships at IIT Delhi to support the students on the basis of their academic performances. Some of the scholarships offered by alumni, corporates, and philanthropists are mentioned below.
|Name of the Scholarship||Eligibility|
|1984 Batch Scholarship||1st-year student of UG Programme|
|ABB Scholarship||2nd-year student in Electrical Engineering/ Power with 7.5 CGPA or above|
|Amar Chand Memorial Scholarship||1st-year student of M.Sc (Mathematics) securing a high CGPA at the end of the 1st semester|
|Indian Women’s Association Bonn Scholarship||1st year UG Student|
|Jain Scholarship||1st year UG Student based on JEE Rank & a minimum CGPA of 7.5|
|Janak Raj Malhotra Scholarship||1st year UG Student|
|Krishna Engineering Scholarship||1st year UG Student|
|Prof. A.K. Mahalanabis Memorial Scholarship||1st year UG Student of Electrical Engineering with highest JEE Rank|
All Engineering Exams / College – Form Apply
IIT Delhi Placements
According to media reports, the highest package (PPO) offered during the first phase of IIT Delhi placements 2023 was INR 4 crore per annum. More than 1300 offers were made including over 260 PPOs during the first phase of placements. Further, 1150 students have been selected uniquely, out of which 50 students received a salary package over INR 1 crore per annum and 30 students received international offers. Around 400 companies offering over 800 job profiles across multiple sectors have registered for hiring students during IIT Delhi placements 2023. The key highlights of IIT Delhi placements 2023 are presented below:
|Highest package (PPO)||INR 4 crore per annum|
|No. of offers made||650 (including 250 PPOs)|
|No. of students with package over INR 1 crore per annum||50|
|No. of students with international offers||20|
Record no. of offers were made during IIT Delhi placements 2023. The key highlights of IIT Delhi placements 2023 as compared with 2022 are presented below:
|Particulars||Phase 1 and 2 Placement Statistics (2022)||Phase 1 Placement Statistics (2023)|
|Average package (MBA)||INR 21.9 LPA||NA|
|Total job offers received||1,300||1,300|
|No. of unique job offers||1,100||1,150|
|No. of international offers||NA||30|
|No. of companies||600||500|
Average package of IIT Delhi in 2023
IIT Delhi overall average package 2023 data is not released as IIT Delhi placements 2023 is ongoing. Earlier, according to IIT Delhi overall NIRF report 2022, an improving trend was witnessed in the median package offered over the past three years during IIT Delhi UG 5-year and PG 2-year placements whereas a fluctuating trend was witnessed in the UG 4-year placements, which is presented below:
IIT Delhi Placements 2023 Sector – Wise
The following table represents the Sector-wise placements at IIT Delhi:
|Sector||Percentage of Students Placed|
|Management and Analytics||11%|
|Teaching & Research||9%|
IIT Delhi Placements 2023 Report
|Particulars||Placement Statistics 2023||Placement Statistics 2022||Placement Statistics 2021|
|No. of Offers||1300||1300||925 (Phase-1)|
|No. of International Offers||30||350||20|
|Total No. of PPOs||260||230||150|
|No. of Recruiters||400||600+||300+|
|No. of Recruiters (Actual)||–||–||200 (Phase-1)|
|No. of Job Profiles (Expected)||800||1100+||500+|
|No. of Job Profiles (Actual)||–||–||250 (Phase-1)|
|No. of Students Opting for Deferred Placements||10||7||13|
|Highest Salary||INR 4 CPA||INR 2 CPA||–|
|Average Salary (Domestic)||INR 1.25 CPA||–|
The batch of 2023 received a total of 260 Pre-placement offers. The institute conducted its placement drive for the batch 2023 and till now 1300 job offers were made with over 1150 students uniquely selected. There has been an increase of 20% in the number of offers received than the previous year.
Over 400+ national and international recruiters planned on offering 800 job profiles across multiple domains. The institute surpassed its own expectations as students bagged over 1300 job offers in the first phase of placements.
Most of the students had opted for jobs in their technical core. Around 29% of students have bagged offers in their core areas. Over 30 International selections have been made by countries and international offers have been received from several countries including Hong Kong, Netherlands, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, United Kingdom, and United States.
10 students had opted for the deferred placements facility. Students opting for this option can avail the placement services once for up to 2 years.
Some of the top recruiters on the campus included American Express, Bajaj Auto, Boston Consulting Group, Enphase Solar Energy, Intel, Praxis Global Alliance, etc.
The institute witnessed a huge surge in the Pre-Placement Offers. Over 260 PPOs had been received, bypassing last year’s total PPOs of 230.
- Over 400+ national and international recruiters plan on offering 800+ job profiles across multiple domains.
- 10 students had opted for deferred placements facility. Students opting for this option can avail of the placement services once for up to 2 years.
- Jane Street offered the highest CTC of INR 4 CPA.
IIT Delhi Placements 2022 Sector-wise
The below table represents the sector-wise placement data of the 2021-22 batch:
|Sectors||Percentage of offers|
The highest number of placement offers were made from the IT sector followed by the Core Companies. 32% of the offers were made from the IT sector, 30% of the offers were made from the Core & only 9% of the offers were made from the Analytics sector.
IIT Delhi Placements 2021 Sector-Wise
The following pie chart represents the sector wise placements of IIT Delhi:
IIT Delhi Infrastructure
The campus of IIT Delhi is spread across an area of 320 acres. The institute strives to provide its students with the topmost IIT Delhi facilities. The IIT Delhi facilities include an amphitheatre, swimming pool, music room, robotics room, club building, gymnasium hall, etc. The campus consists of a fully functional central library that is accessible 24/7.
The institute also comprises a fully functional laboratory with the most efficient technology which caters to the research and study needs of the students. IIT Delhi facilities also include well-equipped laboratories for each department with the latest technologies provided to students for applying and exploring their practical studies. The details of IIT Delhi facilities are given below:
There are altogether 4 functional zones in the IIT Delhi campus:
- Residential zone for Students
- Residential zone for Faculty and supporting staff
- Academic zone for Academic workshops
- Cultural, a social zone for recreational purposes for students
All Engineering Exams / College – Form Apply
- Boys Hostel There are 11 boys’ hostels inside the campus premises. Each hostel has amenities like indoor games, TV in the common room, reading room, dining hall, etc. Students have free access to the internet.
- Girls Hostel Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi has 2 girls’ hostels. Recreational facilities like indoor games, TV in common room, reading room, dining hall, etc are available for the students. All the rooms have Internet connectivity.
- Medical/Hospital IIT Delhi facilities include a 14 bedded hospital to provide OPD treatment and cure general ailments. A team of 10 allopathic, 1 homeopathy, 1 dental and 4 doctors on a contractual basis run the hospital.
- Gym The institute has a central double-storied recreation block with a swimming pool and a gymnasium hall.
- Library The IIT Delhi facilities include a Central Library that houses more than three lakh documents comprising of books, theses, journals, video cassettes and compact discs in the fields of science, engineering, humanities, literature and management. Students can subscribe to electronic resources at discounted rates.
- Sports Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi provides indoor and outdoor sports facilities to the students. A cricket field with four turf wickets, four cricket practice pitches, hockey and football grounds, three volleyball and two basketball courts, eight tennis courts (four synthetic and four clay courts), a tennis practice wall, three squash courts, one badminton hall, two table tennis halls with synthetic flooring, one weight- lifting hall, Olympic size swimming pool, kid’s pool, two multi-gyms, a flood-lit stadium with 400 metres athletics track, flood-lit jogging track and ancillary arrangements for all the games are available to the students. Construction of new multipurpose hall with facilities for badminton, table tennis and squash courts is under consideration.
- I.T Infrastructure IIT Delhi has a well-maintained IT infrastructure. The Institute LAN is a state of the art switched network with Fiber Optics and enhanced CAT5/CAT6 UTP backbone. It consists of more than 9000 network access points spread over the campus using about 265 Cisco switches and about 75 virtual LANs.
- Cafeteria IIT Delhi canteen is located opposite Aravali Hostel, in Himadri Hostel and adjacent Kumaon Hostel and the others located in front of Library across the road. The canteen serves healthy and hygienic food to the students. There are Coffee and Cold drinks kiosks also in the Institute.
- Auditorium The auditorium has a seating capacity of over 120 and hosts numerous guest lectures, seminars and other programmes.
- Alumni Associations IITD Alumni Association is dedicated to bringing together the alumni community on a common platform to build another channel of personal and professional support to members through ‘self-help’ within community. IIT Delhi Alumni Association today has a membership of over 43,000 graduates from our alma mater and is growing at about 1,700 members a year. It is one of the most active alumni associations and operates through a network of national and international chapters. Our alumni are spread world over and figure amongst who’s who worldwide.
- Wifi The academic area, main guest house, faculty guest house, RCA and Hospital are also connected through secure Wi-Fi.
- Swimming Pool The central double-storied recreation block with a swimming pool and a gymnasium hall
- Classrooms The Institute has fully air-conditioned lecture theaters equipped with LCD projectors to ensure the best possible environment for learning.
- Laboratories The Departments has well-equipped laboratories, workshop and library facilities.
- Convenience Store For the benefit of the student community, there is a stationery shop situated in the academic area. A number of Xeroxing facilities and STD/ISD/PCO facilities are available in all the Hostels.
- Banks/ATMs There is a bank within the campus to provide faculty and students the ease of doing all their bank related works without wasting time.
- Guest Room/Waiting Room The University has guest house/waiting room facilities for visiting faculty and student family members.
IIT Delhi Cutoffs
JoSAA will release the cutoff of JEE Advanced IIT Delhi cutoff in online mode. It will include the opening and closing rank required in JEE Advanced for IIT Delhi 2023. Candidates will have to qualify the JEE Advanced cutoff 2023 for IIT Delhi in order to be eligible for final admission. JEE Advanced cutoff for IIT Delhi will be updated here as soon as it will be released by the authorities.
NOTE- All the mentioned ranks from Round 1 to Round 6 are JEE (Advanced ) category-wise All India Ranks. All ranks mentioned in Special Round are JEE Advanced 2022 All India CRL Ranks.HS stands for Home State Quota and OS stands for Other State Quota. Vacant HS Quota seats were converted to All India Quota in Special Round.
All Engineering Exams / College – Form Apply
NOTE- Josaa Round 6 cutoff (2022) is mentioned below
|Computer Science and Engineering||OBC||61||305|
|Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science||OBC||3783||8417|
|Environmental Science and Engineering||OBC||4736||9590|
NOTE- Josaa Round 6 cutoff (2021) is mentioned below
|Branch Name||Category||Closing Rank|
|Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering||General||4436||9472|
|Computer Science and Engineering||General||99||432|
|Electrical Engineering (Power and Automation)||General||841||1757|
|Engineering and Computational Mechanics||General||1258||2820|
|Mathematics and Computing||General||315||930|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||General||3112||7585|