Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), this year made some important changes in the examination pattern of class 12. From introducing internal assessment in all subjects to changing the format of question paper for board exams, students must be aware of every minute detail of the changed examination pattern. As per the new exam pattern, CBSE has given more weight to the school-based/internal assessment. Major change will be observed in the questions paper format in the board exam 2020. Question papers will have more number of objective type questions.
CBSE changed the examination pattern with an aim to
- discourage students from rote learning
- develop analytical skills and reasoning abilities among students
- produce better results and improve the academic quality of institutions
The pattern of board exams has changed from this year onwards, so I have mentioned here most important questions for class 12 biology , which I guess is more than sufficient to score 80%+ by just doing these questions.
1. There are a total of 27 questions and five sections in the question paper. All questions are compulsory.
2. Section A contains question numbers 1 to 5, multiple choice questions of one mark each.
3. Section B contains question numbers 6 to 12, short answer type I questions of two marks each.
4. Section C contains question numbers 13 to 21, short answer type II questions of three marks each.
5. Section D contains question number 22 to 24, case-based short answer type questions of three marks each.
6. Section E contains question numbers 25 to 27, long answer type questions of five marks each.
7. There is no overall choice in the question paper. However, internal choices are provided in two questions of one mark, one question of two marks, two questions of three marks and all three questions of five marks. An examinee is to attempt any one of the questions out of the two given in the question paper with the same question number.
Marking scheme for CBSE Class 12th Biology
|2||Genetics and Evolution||18|
|3||Biology and Human Welfare||14|
|4||Biotechnology and Its Applications||10|
|5||Ecology and Environment||14|
|S.No.||Typology of Questions||Very Short|
|1.||Remembering- (Knowledge based Simple recall questions, to know specific facts, terms, concepts, principles, or theories, Identify, define, or recite, information)||2||1||1||–||7||10%|
|2.||Understanding- (Comprehension – To be familiar with meaning and to understand conceptually, interpret, compare, contrast, explain, paraphrase information)||–||2||4||1||21||30%|
|3.||Application (Use abstract information in concrete situation, to apply knowledge to new situations,Use given content to interpret a situation, provide an example, or solve a problem)||–||2||4||1||21||30%|
|4.||Evaluating & Analysis – Classify, Compare, Contrast, or differentiate between different|
pieces of information,
Organize and/or integrate unique pieces of
information from a variety of sources)
|5.||Creating – (Appraise, judge, and/or justify the value or worth of a decision or outcome, or to predict outcomes based on values)||1||1||2||–||9||13%|
Even if you are studying for the board exam in one day, you can surely get good marks in Biology provided you don’t panic and study earnestly.
Do not use any other reference books except for NCERT and maybe, Arihant Chapterwise if you have time.
Firstly, know the breakdown of the chapters/units
- Do Genetics. That includes Principle of Inheritance, Molecular Basis of Inheritance, Evolution. These 3 chapters can easily fetch you 18 marks. This should take you about 3 hours or so.
- Since covering an entire unit of Genetics can be tiresome, do the last unit which talks all about the environment after that. I think reading each chapter twice should do it. It talks about advantages of CNG, disadvantages of Petrol, Global warming, sewage treatment. These 4 chapters can fetch you 14 marks.
- Biotechnology- Principles and Application. Again, if you read the chapter line by line, underline the definitions, make possible questions, you can do these two chapters in about 3 hours or so. These 2 chapters are of 10 marks.
- Reproduction in Flowering Plants. Read the chapter along with diagrams.
Before sleeping, just go through the scientific names of microbes and their uses in the chapter related to Microbes and read Human Health once.
Next morning, you can easily do Human reproduction, Human health, Strategies of Food production and Microbes.
It shouldn’t take you more than 3 hours.